Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Grandfather's Legacy


It’s been a week from today. My grandfather fell asleep and woke up in paradise. 
It wasn’t too unexpected as he had been in the hospital for several weeks and even though we know he is relieved from pain and suffering we still are selfish and long for him to be with us here today.

This past week I had an opportunity to listen to stories from family, friends, and people I have never met but knew him.  Everything really got me thinking about my own legacy.  What will people remember about you when you are gone?
I knew my grandfather impacted a lot of people.  I just didn’t realize HOW many people.

My grandfather never finished high school. If I recall correctly, he dropped out after the 8th grade to help his family. Back then, he felt he was more of an asset helping his family and working. He met my grandmother when she was in her late teens and he was in his early twenties. They married and had my mom, 14 months later they had my aunt, and a little over a year later they had my uncle. All together they ended up having 5 children. My grandfather made his living off being a paint contractor. Being from a small town everyone came to know him and if they needed a painter he was the first one they called.
When I walked into the funeral home last Thursday, Max, the owner of the funeral home, was waiting for my family. I had drove in from out of town so I made it a little early and was the first to arrive. I had never met Max before and the first thing he asked me was who I belonged too. I told him who my mother was and come to find out, he had gone to school with her.  (Normal in a small town) Max also had known my grandfather since he was a boy. His dad owned a carpet business and worked very closely with my grandfather on contracting jobs around town. Max’s dad would put in the carpet and my grandfather would do the paint. He said that my grandfather was one of his heroes growing up. He would often have to tag along with his father to his installs and many of the contractors didn’t want children around. Many contractors would complain or not even acknowledge him. But my grandfather always treated him like a young man – a gentleman. My grandfather would teach him what he was doing, talk and share stories about growing up or his own kids -- all while chewing and spitting his tobacco. (I’ll personally never forget the comforting smell of beech-nut chewing tobacco) A kind heart, respect, and truth had a major impact on Max as a boy. Max said he stopped dreading going to the contracting jobs and started enjoying going to help. Now 50 years later he laughs as he recalls numerous stories throughout his childhood.

My grandparents were married for 60 years. They had their ups and downs and overcame all obstacles that came their way. Since my grandmother never learned to drive my grandfather would drive her everywhere – church, work, and the grocery store. While my grandmother shopped he would wait patiently for her in the car in the parking lot with the window rolled down.  A met a lady at his visitation who had said that is where she met him. She worked in a store next to the grocery store.  One day while she was on her break she struck up a conversation with him.  She didn’t know who he was but saw him frequently patiently waiting on my grandmother.  From then on if she ever saw him waiting she would go chat with him. She said that she always enjoyed their conversations and admired his deep love for his wife, family, and the community.  Unfortunately, love and commitment it just isn’t as frequent these days. He gave her hope and reassured her good people still existed.
Since he had such a large family he came up with the solution to plant a garden to provide vegetables throughout the year. He knew everything there was to know about gardening: When to plant what vegetables, what to vegetables to plant next to each other, what pesticides to use for bugs. One year he even bought guinea chickens to eat the grasshoppers.  Those were fun! Some of my oldest memories are going through his garden and looking at the onions, corn, and squash trying to decide if they were ready to pick. I always loved working in his garden and any vegetables left over he often would give them away to the neighbors and friends! He was always looking to provide for his family and anyone else who he could help.

I could go on and on for days on the precious memories and stories. At his funeral the pastor mentioned my grandfather going on a men’s retreat and praying for his wife, our family, and friends.  He was always thinking of others and glorifying God in everything he did.
He led a great legacy, one that won’t be forgotten. I’ll tell these stories to my future children and reminisce with my 10 + cousins about cracking Easter eggs on his bald head every Easter. (I’m pretty sure that is why he had a knot on his head)

Instead of being sad or upset, I am humbled, happy, and super thankful. I’m thankful he knew and trusted God. I’m thankful I got to witness to a strong marriage between my grandparents.  I’m thankful I got to witness a wonderful love and commitment to family, friends, and community.

We have this Hope as an Anchor for the Soul, Firm and Secure. Hebrews 6:19

Have faith,
Graceful Mrs.

1 comment:

  1. Monica this GREAT!!! Papa was such an amazing mentor and he was loved by so many.

    ReplyDelete